My mother never taught me, If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. Instead, she taught me this, Never say something in anger or hurt that you might regret later. You can’t take back words. You can try, but at the end of the day, there’s always some truth to what’s been said. This was one of those lessons I didn’t always follow as a child. But it’s the one lesson I took to heart as an adult and I do my best to live every day by. Life isn’t always easy. In fact, it’s often challenging as fuck. You can’t always predict how things will turn out. In fact, sometimes it likes to really mess with your head. So here are a few rules I try to live by.
- Never say something in anger or hurt that you might regret later.
- Don’t procrastinate life, it’s too short. There isn’t always a tomorrow, or a next time, or whenever you get around to it. Make the time now.
- Even when your heart shatters into a million little pieces and you don’t think you’re capable, remember to keep loving. We need love to survive as humans like we need air to breathe. You will never be a whole person if you don’t have love in some capacity in your life. Whether it’s friendships, family, or romantic love, it’s necessary.
- Trust the people you chose to let into your life. Trust your partner, if you can’t maybe you shouldn’t be with them. Trust your friends or don’t confide in them. Trust your gut and never ignore it.
- Take adventures. Go to new cities, meet new people, try new foods. You’re missing out on a whole world of culture and experiences if you never try new things.
- Be goofy. Smiling is better for the soul, so dance, and sing, and laugh whenever the opportunity arises.
- Live life with as few regrets as possible. Even if it doesn’t work out, at least you can say you tried. The what-ifs can eat you alive, so don’t fret them. Let them be instead and remember to put yourself out there. You never really know when the next opportunity will be there. Sometimes life has other plans.
- Go with the flow and don’t fight life. There isn’t really a winner but you can lose. Chin up, when it’s hard. Enjoy the everliving fuck out of the easy parts. Remember if it wasn’t for the darkness would we be able to truly appreciate the light?
- Ask for what you want. Do not feel guilty for having needs or wants. You’re allowed to desire things out of life. You’re allowed to want to live a spacific way. Find those who’s wants aline with your own, it’s always nice to be in good company.
- Find your passion, whatever it is. Find others who are just as passionate as you are about life. You don’t have to share passions but having passion for anything is better than having no passion at all. It says something about a person, about who they are and what they’re willing to work for. I have this crazy belief that passionate people are capable of deeper love. Passion requires the ability to love something and sacrifice for that love. Imagine if everything that person loved was treated with the same care and consideration. Passion is awesome and makes me smile. Maybe I just love passionate people.
I’m not saying it’s a complete list by any means, but it’s a place to start. When life isn’t quite going the way I expect or even want, I remember these things. I like to believe things happen for a reason. I like to hold on to the idea that we are all here with a purpose. Even if we don’t always know what that is. And when I can’t, I hold onto the idea that I can make a difference. Even if it’s just a small one.
One thought on “A Few Rules”